Edwin R. Jones
Distinguished Professor EmeritusRoom PSC 507
Physics and Astronomy
University of South Carolina
Columbia, South Carolina 29208
We have been developing instructional materials for use at a variety of levels. The text Contemporary College Physics is now in its third edition. It is designed for the algebra-based introductory physics course that is standard throughout the United States.
Most recently I have been increasingly concearned with the needs of middle school teachers in South Carolina. Most of them entered their profession through the elementary certification process. now they find themselves teaching science in the middle school without the background courses to fit their specific needs and to give them the proper background to ensure that their students can meet the new state standards for science education.
- "Single-Camera Three-Dimensional Laparoscopic System," E. R. Jones and A. P. McLaurin, in Stereoscopic Displays and Virtual Reality Systems, S. S. Fisher, J. O. Merritt, and M. T. Bolas, eds,. Proc. S.P.I.E. 2177, 156 (1994).
- "Virtual Endoscope," A. P. McLaurin and E. R. Jones, in The Engineering Reality of Virtual Reality, M. T. Bolas and S. S. Fisher, eds., Proc. S.P.I.E. 2177, 269 (1994).
- "Polarization of a Helium-Neon Laser," E. R. Jones, The Physics Teacher, 34, 346 (1996).
- Contemporary College Physics Edwin R. Jones, Jr., and Richard L. Childers, McGraw-Hill, Boston, third edition, 2001update 2001. (1025 pp.)
- Instructor's Solution Manual to accompany Contemporary College Physics Edwin R. Jones, Jr., and Richard L. Childers, McGraw-Hill, Boston, 1999 (449 pp.)